Building Bridges with Bilingual Books and Multicultural Resources:
A Practical Manual of Lesson Plans, Literacy Games, and Fun Activities from Around the World to Celebrate Diversity in the Classroom and at Home (Supporting Culturally Responsive Teaching)
Authors: Anneke Forzani, Dr. Heather Leaman, Edmond Gubbins, Ellen O'Regan
This timely and practical manual will save K-5 teachers, and homeschooling parents, hundreds of hours by providing the tools to:
In this manual you will find the tools you need to embrace diversity in the classroom, including:
- Build culturally responsive classrooms
- Create positive connections with dual language students & families
- Teach children about other languages and cultures
- Support literacy development among English language learners
- Foster a welcoming and inclusive learning environment
- Comprehensive Multicultural Lesson Plans In The Following Themes:
- Cultural Awareness/Diversity
- Folktales, Fables, Myths, and Legends
- Holidays / Festivals
The multicultural lesson plans meet Common Core State Standards and include detailed procedures, assessments, cross-curricular extension activities, and vocabulary-building flashcards. Each lesson incorporates optional ESL activities, accommodations for language learners, and suggestions for involving dual language families.
- 10 Diversity Activities Using Bilingual Books to Promote Literacy and Language Awareness.
- 10 Games from Around the World
- Foods and Crafts from Around the World
- Diverse Language Profiles
- Unique Holidays to Promote Multiculturalism and Literacy
- Community Building Handouts (Includes "Hello in Different Languages" handout)
- Online Resources and Links
- Special Bonus Material
Dimensions: 8.5w x 11h inches, 236 pages
This book is also available for sale on Amazon in: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, and the UK.
Available as an eBook on: Amazon (Kindle), Kobo, B&N, and numerous global e-Book platforms.
This is an amazing resource! . . . This book will be so useful to so many!
- Caia Schlessinger, President of NJTESOL/NJBE
An incredible and much needed resource for educators and homeschool families. . . . a must-have for every home, school, and library. Planting the seeds of courage, grace, and tolerance in our multicultural and diverse world.- Valerie Budyr, Co-Founder of Multicultural Children's Book Day
Building Bridges is a tremendous resource that is practical and contains relevant literacy lessons rooted in best practice.- Lisa Gordon, Adjunct Professor, Department of Literacy, West Chester University
This book is a celebration of diversity in a global age.
- Laura Harrison, Elementary School Teacher
Learn how "Building Bridges" supports culturally responsive teaching by examining one of the lesson plans.